Moving to Australia on a permanent or temporary basis will mean dealing with a new tax regime.
You will have to register in the tax system, and will almost certainly be required to complete an Australian tax return each year – with a filing deadline to be met.
There may also possibly be the need to consider the interaction of tax systems in more than one country if you have receive income from countries other than Australia.
Importantly, your visa status can have a significant impact on how you are taxed in Australia on income and capital gains arising outside Australia.
This is particularly the case if you are the holder of certain types of temporary residency visa – including New Zealand citizens who have moved to Australia in recent years.
bdh Tax provides the following services to individuals who are moving to Australia from the UK, or elsewhere in the world:
- Tax planning advice, with regard always had to your visa status in Australia
- Assistance with Tax File Number registration in Australia
- Preparation of UK and Australian Tax returns (including advice on tax deductions to reduce your tax liability). All tax returns are submitted to HM Revenue & Customs and the Australian Taxation Office electronically
- Assistance to ensure income is properly taxed and not taxed twice. This includes guidance relating to non-UK residents receiving UK rental income, and non-UK residents who are receiving pension income from the UK
- Preparation of accounts for taxpayers who are operating their own businesses
- Guidance on the use of superannuation in Australia as a means of securing improved after tax income, including the use of Self Managed Superannuation Funds
bdh Tax provides a fixed fee quote whenever possible to all who are interested in engaging our services.
We can assist with the preparation of tax returns in Australia and in the UK.
If you are moving to Australia – or are already living in Australia – and would like a no obligation fixed fee proposal from a firm of tax advisors that understands the issues affecting new arrivals in Australia please contact us by completing the enquiry form on this webpage, or telephone the bdh Tax office that is closest to you.
We look forward to hearing from you.